5 Days Mount Kenya Trekking - Sirimon Route Downhill via Chogoria Route
Much more picturesque than the Naro Moru route and the tour is located on the drier side of the mountain which offers some of the most beautiful walks. You hike up through the rainforest on a wide ridge to the summit area. The route begins on the northwestern side of the mountain at Nanyuki. The ascent is reasonable and the sleeping berths are the best on this side of the mountain. Although Mount Kenya summit can be reached in 4 days, we strongly recommend an overnight stay at the Nanyuki base. This can be arranged for an extra charge. If you arrive from Diani Beach you will be in Nanyuki one day before for acclimatisation.
Day 1: Nairobi / Sirimon / Judmier Camp (Old Moses Camp) 3-4 hours, 9km, 860 meters altitude difference
You leave Nairobi at 8 am and arrive in Nanyuki for lunch after about 4 hours. Afterwards you drive to Sirimon Gate, 1 hour, at 2440 m altitude. From the gate we drive uphill through the rainforest, which becomes a heathland after about 3 hours. About 3 hours away from the gate the route leads directly to Judmier Camp at 3300 meters altitude for dinner and overnight stay. L,D
Day 2: Judmier Camp / Shipton Camp 6-7 hours, 14km, 900m altitude difference
After breakfast, follow the road uphill and turn left at the crossroads. After one hour from Old Moses Camp (Judmier Camp), the trail crosses the river Ontulili. Then turn right through the moorland and cross Likii North, then uphill to Mackinders Valley, from where you have a panoramic view over the valley to the main peaks. Dinner and overnight at Shipton Camp at 4200m. B,L,D
Day 3: Shipton Camp
Spend the day acclimatizing. Hike to the Kami Hut down to the Hauseberg Lakes (Hauseberg Mountain Lake and Nanyuki Mountain Lake). Return to Shipton for dinner and overnight.
Day 4: Shiptons / Lenana Peak / Mount Meru Bandas (Chogoria Gate) 6 hours, 14km, 785 meters altitude difference
You leave the camp at 3 a.m. via a steep quarry that cuts through a visible part of the rock face of the lower mountain lakes and at 6:30 a.m. you reach the Lenena summit. This takes about 3 hours. After sunrise, descent for 2 hours to Mintos Hut for breakfast and then on to Mount Meru Bandas at 2950 meters altitude for dinner and overnight.
Day 5: Chogoria Bandas / Chogoria / Nairobi
Descent 2 hours, 15 km to the forest clearing where a 4x4 transfer vehicle for the drive to Chogoria village is waiting to take you to your transfer vehicle for the drive back to Nairobi. B,L
Mt. Meru Bandas
- Guaranteed price / Guaranteed trekking performance with confirmation
- Transfer to and from the foot of the mountain
- Accommodation with full board during the hike
- Catering plan as indicated: B=breakfast, L=lunch and D=dinner
- Accommodation in camps/cottages according to itinerary
- All entrance fees to the park including taxes
- Supervised by an English speaking professional guide, carrier and experienced cook
- Treated water on the walk
- After completion, trekking certificate
- Start and finish Nairobi or Diani Beach
- Laundry service, sleeping bags, drinks/drinks, accommodation before the hike and climbing equipment
- International flights
- Visa for Kenya
- Personal items
- All other extras not listed in the itinerary above.
- up to 75th to 60th day before departure 40% of the total price.
- from the 59th to the 40th day before departure 60% of the total price.
- from the 39th to the 30th day before departure 80% of the total price,
- from the 29th day before departure 100% of the total price,
- as well as on the day of departure or no-show 100% of the tour price.
- The final payment is due 22 days before the trekking starts.