4 Days Mount Kenya Trekking - Naro Moru Route
The most popular route, although not the most beautiful. But it is the fastest way to the Lenana summit. You take this classic route up Mount Kenya through the famous high moor and into the wide Teleki Valley below Tryndall, the Lewis Glacier.
Day 1: Nairobi or Diani Beach / Meteorological Station
3-4 hours, 10km, 400m altitude ascent
Transfer to the Naro Moru park entrance for registration and to the starting point of the hike, 2600m above sea level. From the gate we continue to the park path that follows the ridge of a ridge between the northern and southern Naromoru valleys. Trekking is easy and it is a pleasant walk through the rainforest. After about two thirds of the ascent, after the bridge, there is a good view to the north into the northern Naromoru valley. The hike ends at the meteorological station at 3,000m where dinner and overnight take place, B, L, D.
Day 2: Meteorological Station / Mackinders Camp
5-6 hours, 10km, 1200 meters altitude ascent
Continue uphill to the radio station, which you will pass on your right after about half an hour. The hike leads along a path and after another 30 minutes you reach the end of the forest belt and enter the moorland. The conditions of the moor range from humid to sticky, depending on when it last rained. It continues until it gets better, and then reaches a turnoff overlooking the Teleki Valley, to Mackinders Camp at 4,200m. Dinner and overnight at Mackinders Camp, B, L, D.
Day 3: Mackinders Camp / Lenana Summit / Meteorological Station
8-10 hours, 11km, 785 meters altitude ascent
The normal approach is to continue the ascent to the Lenana summit at 2am to reach the Lenana Point after about 4 hours with sunrise at 6:30am. We are at the highest point of Mt Kenya, which can be climbed without alpine climbing equipment. The sunrise is impressive. The breathtaking towers of Batian and Nelion above the Lewis glacier are bathed in golden yellow light and behind the African savannah you can see the summit of Kilimanjaro 200 km away on a clear day.
After sunrise, then descent to Mackinders Camp for breakfast, 2 hours and another 4 hours return to the meteorological station for dinner and overnight stay, B, L, D.
Day 4: Meteorological Station / Naro Moru
3 hours, 9km, 400m altitude descent
After breakfast you will descend through the 9 km long rainforest to Naromoru Park entrance at 2.600 m altitude, where you will be transported back to Nairobi or Diani Beach for a beach holiday or another safari.
- Guaranteed price / Guaranteed trekking performance with confirmation
- Transfer to and from the foot of the mountain
- Accommodation with full board during the hike
- Catering plan as indicated: B=breakfast, L=lunch and D=dinner
- Accommodation in camps/cottages according to itinerary
- All entrance fees to the park including taxes
- Supervised by an English speaking professional guide, carrier and experienced cook
- Treated water on the walk
- After completion, trekking certificate
- Start and finish Nairobi or Diani Beach
- Laundry service, sleeping bags, drinks/drinks, accommodation before the hike and climbing equipment
- International flights
- Visa for Kenya
- Personal items
- All other extras not listed in the itinerary above.
- up to 75th to 60th day before departure 40% of the total price.
- from the 59th to the 40th day before departure 60% of the total price.
- from the 39th to the 30th day before departure 80% of the total price,
- from the 29th day before departure 100% of the total price,
- as well as on the day of departure or no-show 100% of the tour price.
- The final payment is due 22 days before the trekking starts.